IN HILL COUNTRY
Click image for Details
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
MEDINA COUNTY, Texas
"no slogan"County Seat: HondoEst: 1848
County Borders: N: Bandera; E: Bexar; SE: Atascosa; S: Frio; SW: Zavala; W: Uvalde
Population (2011): 46,367Businesses (2010): 639COL Index (2008): 78.1
Zip Codes:Area Codes:Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29° 17' N; 99° 02' W
Major Highways: IH-35, US 90, TX 173 (also 16, 462, 463, 471, 1283, 1343, 1957)
Rivers: MedinaLakes: Medina Lake Reservoir
Area: 1325 smElevation: 635 to 1995 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Castroville, Devine, Hondo, Lacoste, Lytle, Natalia, a small portion of San Antonio
- Unincorporated: D'Hanis, Dunlay, Mico, Pearson, Riomedina, Vandernberg (ghost), Yancey
- County Judge: Chris Schuchart
Ofc: 830-741-6020, Fax: 830-741-6025
1502 Ave K, Hondo, TX 78861
- Alamo Area Council Of Governments (AACOG):
Executive Director: Gloria C. Arriaga
8700 Tesoro Dr, Ste 700, San Antonio, TX 78217
Web: www.aacog.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Tourism, hunting, ranching, oil & gas, limestone, bat guano
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below. MAPS: HISTORY:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project (genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries: TXGenWeb
- Communities & History: www.txgenweb3.org/txmedina/communities.htm
- Medina County Historical Commission: Not established.
- More History: See Portal city profiles in list shown above.
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; US Census Quick Facts; TXCIP; Texas Escapes (not available); Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
MEDINA COUNTY: County Judge Chris Schuchart, Ofc: 830-741-6020, Fax: 830-741-6025; 1502 Ave K, Hondo, TX 78861. www.medinacountytexas.org, email@example.com
MEDINA COUNTY CLERK: 830-741-6071/830-741-6040; Rm 209, Courthouse. www.medina.tx.us.landata.com
MEDINA COUNTY DISTRICT CLERK: Rm 209, Courthouse
MEDINA COUNTY SHERIFF: Dispatch: 830-741-6150; 801 Ave Y, Hondo, TX 78861. http://sheriff.medinacountytexas.org. Sheriff Randy Brown; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Directory of County Government Offices: List
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
TEXAS A&M AGRILIFE EXTENSION SERVICE OFFICE - MEDINA COUNTY:
830-741-6180; 1506 Ave M, Hondo, TX 78861.
Web: http://medina.agrilife.org, Email: email@example.com
See full Focus Topic Profile on: AgriLife
US POST OFFICE: www.usps.com
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
Click: State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
MEDINA COUNTY CRIME STOPPERS: 1-800-367-2833; www.medinacountycrimestoppers.org
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
AMERICAN RED CROSS, San Antonio Area Chapter, Uvalde Branch:
830-608-9876; 400 S Getty, Ste H, Uvalde, TX 78801
www.saredcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Medina, Real and Uvalde counties.
CASTROVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY: 830-931-4095; 802 London St, Castroville, TX 78009
DRISCOLL PUBLIC LIBRARY: 830-663-2993; 202 E Hondo Ave, Devine, TX 78016
HONDO PUBLIC LIBRARY: 830-426-5333; 1011 19th St, Hondo, TX 78861
TEXAS FARM BUREAU - MEDINA COUNTY: 830-426-3349; 2916 Ave E, Hondo, TX 78861-3329.
A county-wide non-profit, providing a political voice regarding agriculture,
as well as insurance, financing and education services.
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
MEDINA COUNTY CHURCH OF CHRIST: Meets at Best Western Hotel, Conference Center, 301 US 90, Hondo, TX 78861 Sundays: Bible classes at 9:30a; Worship Assembly at 10:30a. Contact: 830-481-0073
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!