Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
COMAL COUNTY, Texas
Pronounced: "co-MALL or co-MEL"
"Where Living Is Good"County Seat: New BraunfelsEst: 1846
County Borders: N: Blanco; NE: Hays; SE: Guadalupe; SW: Bexar; NW: Kendall
Population (2016): 134,788Businesses (2015): 3,338COL Index (2008): 89.4
Zip Codes: 78070, 78130, 78131, 78132, 78133, 78135, 78163, 78266, 78626
Area Codes: 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29° 48' N; 98° 17' W
Major Highways: IH-35, US-290, TX-46
Creeks: CiboloRivers: Guadalupe, Blanco, San AntonioLakes: Canyon
Area: 559 smElevation: 600 to 1,500 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
- Cities & Towns: Bulverde, Fair Oaks Ranch, Garden Ridge, New Braunfels, a small portion of San Antonio, Schertz, Selma
- Unincorporated: Canyon City, Canyon Lake, Fischer, Sattler, Spring Branch, Startzville
- County Judge: Sherman Krause, 830-221-1100
100 Main Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
- Alamo Area Council Of Governments (AACOG): 210-362-5200
Executive Director: Gloria C. Arriaga
8700 Tesoro Dr, Ste 700, San Antonio, TX 78217
- Comal County Economic Development: 830-221-1103
199 Main Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather (New Braunfels); Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below. MAPS: HISTORY:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: Handbook of Texas Online
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries: TXGenWeb
- Comal County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- More history: at Portal city profiles in list shown above, including New Braunfels
Comal County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; Podunk; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
COMAL COUNTY: County Judge Sherman Krause: 830-221-1100; 199 Main Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130. www.co.comal.tx.us; email@example.com
COMAL COUNTY, APPRAISAL DISTRICT: www.comalad.org. Property and tax info
COMAL COUNTY, COMMISSIONER, PRECINCT 4: Jen Crownover, 830-221-1104; http://www.co.comal.tx.us/Comal_County_Precinct_4.htm, Facebook
COMAL COUNTY, ENGINEERING DEPT: www.cceo.org (includes GIS maps)
COMAL COUNTY, GENEALOGY SOCIETY: www.ccgstexas.org. Meets monthly, 7:30p. Contact: Tommy Daum, 830-625-8937
COMAL COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION:
COMAL COUNTY, SENIOR CENTER FOUNDATION: 830-629-4547; Annual event features 10,000 floating frogs up for adoption for $5 donation.
COMAL COUNTY, SHERIFF DEPT: 830-620-3400; 3005 W San Antonio St, New Braunfels, TX 78130. Facebook Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
WATER ORIENTED RECREATION DISTRICT OF COMAL COUNTY: See New Braunfels
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. New Braunfels is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
US POST OFFICES: www.usps.com
- 830-438-3003; 30131 Bulverde Ln, Unit 1, Bulverde, TX 78163-9997
- 830-964-4100; 1300 FM 2673, Canyon Lake, TX 78133-9998
- 830-935-2351; 4050 FM 484, Fischer, TX 78623-9998
- 830-625-7736; 686 S Seguin Ave, New Braunfels, TX 78130-9998
- 830-885-4508; 830-885-6373; 10650 US 281 N, Spring Branch, TX 78070-9998
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
ALAMO RESOURCE CONSERVATION & DEVELOPMENT AREA, INC: 210-548-9248; 215 W Bandera R, Ste 114-456, Boerne, TX 78006. www.alamorcd.org. A non-profit who's mission is to assist rural communities through improved community social services, coordinated resource conservation, environmental stewardship, sustainable agriculture, water and land within our 10 county area. Counties Served: Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Frio, Wilson, Atascosa, Medina, Bandera, Kendall, Kerr
AMERICAN RED CROSS, San Antonio Area Chapter, New Braunfels Branch:
830-608-9876; 1297 Church Hill Dr, New Braunfels, TX 78130. Mon-Wed-Fri. Bruce W Graybill, Disaster Program Specialist, email@example.com
www.saredcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Comal and Kendall counties.
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. www.anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
MASTER GARDENERS ASSOCIATION: www.txmg.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program. Mission is to disseminate horticulture education on gardening, water conservation, soil maintenance, native & earthkind planting.
Local club: Comal Master Gardeners, 325 Resource Dr, New Braunfels, TX 78132. http://txmg.org/comal. Ask-a-Master Gardener Help Desk: 830-620-3440
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Lindheimer Chapter, 325 Resource Dr, New Braunfels, TX 78132. Counties served: Comal. www.txmn.org/lindheimer
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!