IN HILL COUNTRY
Click image for Details
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
KENDALL COUNTY, Texas
"The Gem of the Texas Hill Country"County Seat: BoerneEst: 1862
County Borders: N: Gillespie; NE: Blanco; SE: Comal; S: Bexar; SW: Bandera; W: Kerr
Population (2011): 34,781Businesses (2010): 1,090COL Index (2008): 88.9
Zip Codes: 78004, 78006, 78013, 78015, 78027, 78074
Area Codes: 210, 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 29° 57' N; 98° 43' W
Major Highways: I-10, US 87, TX 46, FR 475
Creeks: CiboloRivers: Guadalupe, BlancoLakes: None
Area: 662 smElevation: 1,000 to 2,000 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY: Bankersmith, Alamo Springs, Ammans Crossing, Boerne, Bergheim, Comfort, Fair Oaks Ranch, Kendalia, Kreutzberg, Lindendale, Nelson City, Oberly Crossing, Sisterdale, Waring, Welfare, Walnut Grove
All of Kendall County is within the Texas Hill Country. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps.
- County Judge: Darrel Lux, 830-249-9343
The New Courthouse: 201 E San Antonio St, Boerne, TX 78006
Located across the street from the Historic Courthouse
The Historic Courthouse: 204 E San Antonio St, Boerne, TX 78006
Kendall County is governed by a commissioner's court made up of four commissioners and a judge. The county judge is the county administrative officer, who also rules on probate and juvenile legal matters. The County's other elected county officials are the sheriff, county tax collector/assessor, clerk, treasurer and county attorney. County officials appointed by the commissioner's court are the county auditor, road supervisor, and engineer.
- Alamo Area Council Of Governments (AACOG): 210-362-5200
Executive Director: Gloria C. Arriaga
8700 Tesoro Dr, Ste 700, San Antonio, TX 78217
- Kendall County Economic Development Corporation: 830-331-9070
1221 S Main St, Ste #100, Boerne, TX 78006
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
TERRAIN & WATER: Kendall County has rolling to hilly terrain in the Edwards Plateau region. Vegetation native to the alkaline soils of the region consists primarily of tall grasses, live oak, juniper, and mesquite. Most of the area is drained by the Guadalupe River, which crosses the county from W to E. Two other important water courses rise in Kendall County: the Blanco River in the north and Cibolo Creek in the south.
Among the county's mineral resources are dolomite and limestone. The climate is subtropical subhumid with an average minimum temperature of 35° F in January and an average high of 94° in July. The rainfall averages 36 inches.
The Trinity Aquifer (Cow Creek) supplies the water to Tapatio Springs, Ranger Creek, Cibolo Oaks Landing, Creekside Terrace, the Green Acres Subdivisions.
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspaper: Boerne Star, 830-249-2441, www.boernestar.com. Published semi-weekly
- Radio/TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project (genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries): TXGenWeb
- Kendall County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below
- More History See Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Boerne
- James Kiehl River Bend Park: 118 River Bend Rd, Comfort, TX 78013
- Kreutzberg Canyon Natural Area: 143 Mark Twain, Boerne, TX 78006
- Joshua Springs Park & Preserve: Park Office: 716 FM 289, Comfort, TX 78013. 400 acres. www.kendallcountyparks.org/parks/joshua-springs-park-and-preserve-jspp. Located I-10 and FM 289, between Boerne And Comfort
- Ring Mountain Event Center @ Joshua Springs: The 3000 sf Center sits on the hill top with panoramic views of the scenic countryside. Accommodates all types of events: company functions, weddings, receptions, holiday parties, birthdays, private parties, and other special events.
Best Places to Live in 2006 from the Progressive Farmer website; City Data; ePodunk; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
KENDALL COUNTY, JUDGE: Darrel Lux: 830-249-9343; The New Courthouse: 201 E San Antonio St, Boerne, TX 78006 (Across the street from the Historic Courthouse). The Historic Courthouse: 204 E San Antonio St, Boerne, TX 78006. www.co.kendall.tx.us
KENDALL COUNTY, COURTHOUSE ANNEX: 221 Fawn Valley Dr, Boerne, TX 78006
KENDALL APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 830-249-8012; 118 Market Ave, Boerne, TX 78006. www.kendallad.org
KENDALL COUNTY, CHILDREN'S PROTECTIVE SERVICES: Kerrville: 830-792-4303
KENDALL COUNTY, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: 830-331-9047; 1221 S Main St, Ste #100, Boerne, TX 78006, www.kendallcountyedc.com
KENDALL COUNTY, FOOD STAMPS/AID TO NEEDY FAMILIES/MEDICAID: Kerrville: 83-896-3933; Boerne: 830-249-3533
KENDALL COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: www.kendallcountyhistory.com
KENDALL COUNTY, PARKS DEPARTMENT: 830-537-3470. See park descriptions above.
KENDALL COUNTY, SHERIFF: Al Auxier; 830-995-2688; Main: 830-249-9721; Dispatch (EMS-Fire-Airlife): 830-249-8645. 6 Staudt St, Boerne, TX 78006. firstname.lastname@example.org
KENDALL COUNTY, WIC: 830-249-3932
KENDALL COUNTY, WOMEN'S SHELTER: 830-249-2738; 234 Bandera Rd, # 193, Boerne, TX 78006. www.kendallwomensshelter.com
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
US POST OFFICE: 800-275-8777. www.usps.comwww.usps.com
- 830-336-2414; 843 TX 46 E, Bergheim, TX 78004
- 830-249-2414; 607 E Blanco Rd, Boerne, TX 78006-9998
- 830-995-3603; 726 Front St, Comfort, TX 78013
- 830-336-3068; 2545 RR 473, Kendalia, TX 78027
- 830-995-3838; 538 Waring-Welfare Rd, Waring, TX 78074-9800
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, San Antonio Area Chapter, New Braunfels Branch:
830-608-9876; 373-A Landa St, New Braunfels, TX 78130
BranchOfficeNewBraun@saredcross.org; www.saredcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Comal and Kendall counties.
COW CREEK GROUNDWATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT: 830-816-2504; 201 E San Antonio Ave, Ste 100, and 216 Market Ave, Ste 105, Boerne, TX 78006. Created for the purpose of conserving, preserving, recharging, protecting and preventing waste of groundwater from the aquifers within Kendall County. The District will conduct administrative and technical activities and programs to achieve these purposes.
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. www.anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann, email@example.com
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
HILL COUNTRY CARES: 830-257-7088; POB 291817, Kerrville, TX 78029. www.hccares.com. A non-profit organization promoting healthy individuals, healthy families and healthy communities by providing prevention, intervention and recovery services for domestic violence, sexual assault, abuse and neglect, chronic illnesses, and self-destructive behaviors. Area Hot Lines for free, confidential counseling, 24 hours a day: Kimball & Kerr Counties: 830-257-2400, or Toll Free: 1-888-621-0047. Bandera County: 830-796-3302. Kendall County: 830-249-8379. Gillespie County: 830-997-4357
TEXAS MASTER GARDENERS: www.txmg.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program. Mission is to disseminate horticulture education on gardening, water conservation, soil maintenance, native & earthkind planting.
Local club: Hill Country Master Gardeners, 830-257-6568; 3775 TX 27 E, Kerrville, TX 78028. Counties served: Bandera, Gillespie, Kendall and Kerr. www.hillcountrymastergardeners.org
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hill Country Chapter, 830-896-2504; 309 Sidney Baker S, Kerrville, TX 78028. Meets 4th Mon 7p at UGRA building. Michelle Haggerty, State Coordinator. Counties served: Counties served: Bandera, Edwards, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Real, San Saba. www.txmn.org/hillcountry
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!
Click for Hill Country:
> FESTIVALS/MAJOR EVENTS
> LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Affordable Pre-paid Emergency Air Transport Service
Click image for details
Protection starts at $65/yr