Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
GILLESPIE COUNTY, Texas
"In the heart of the Texas Hill Country"
County Seat: Fredericksburg
County Borders: NW: Llano
; NE: Mason
; E: Blanco
; SE: Kendall
; SW: Kerr
; W: Kimble
Population (2011): 25,114
Businesses (2010): 876
COL Index (2008): 84.1
Zip Codes: 78618, 78624, 78631, 78671, 78675
Area Codes: 830
Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 30° 18' N; 98° 55' W
Major Highways: I-10; US 280; TX 16, 87; FM 783
Lakes: no majors
Area: 1,058 sm
Elevation: 1,100 to 2,250 ft
CITIES AND TOWNS:
Towns & Villages:
Unincorporated: Alamo Springs; Albert; Doss; Harper; Hilltop; Luckenbach; Stonewall; Willow City
All of Gillespie County is within the Texas Hill Country. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps.
GILLESPIE COUNTY: County Judge Mark Stroeher
Gillespie County Courthouse
101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Ofc: 830-997-7502; Fax: 830-992-2608
COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS:
ALAMO AREA COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS (AACOG):
Executive Director: Gloria C. Arriaga
8700 Tesoro Dr, Ste 700, San Antonio, TX 78217
Web: www.aacog.com, Email: email@example.com
COUNTY CHAMBER & TOURISM:
See Gillespie County Fair & Festival Assn. listing below.
WEATHER: Weather Underground
MEDIA COVERAGE: Latest News
MAPS: Google, more maps
PRINCIPAL BUSINESS: Agriculture, ranching, tourism, hunting
HANDBOOK OF TEXAS ONLINE: TSHA
Handbook of Texas Online
COUNTY TXGENWEB PROJECT (genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries): TXGenWeb
GILLESPIE COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION: See full details in Directory below.
HISTORIC SCHOOLS IN GILLESPIE COUNTY: See full details in Directory below.
More history at Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Fredericksburg.
PROPERTY TAX (2009: /$100): County: 0.2578; School: 1.1462; City: 0.2319
See listings in each town, and: Gillespie County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions
US Census Quick Facts; TXCIP; Wikipedia; Podunk; City Data
We welcome submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos, without compensation.
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
GILLESPIE COUNTY: County Judge Mark Stroeher, Gillespie County Courthouse, 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Ofc: 830-997-7502; Fax: 830-992-2608; www.gillespiecounty.org. Employs approx 140. Commissioners Court meets 2nd & 4th Mon at the Court House. Departments include:
GILLESPIE COUNTY COURT HOUSE: 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. (Precinct 2)
- AIRPORT (GILLESPIE COUNTY): 830-997-7502; 191 Airport Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Publicly owned, open to the public. Located 3 mi S of downtown Fredericksburg, TX 78624. No tower. Open 24x7. Runway: 5,001 x 75 ft; Designation: T82. AirNav; Map
- APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 830-997-9807; 101 W Main St, #11, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. http://www.gillespiecad.org
- AUDITOR: 830-997-6777; 101 W Main St, Unit 4, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COMMUNITY SERVICES
- CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 1: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY ATTORNEY: 830-990-0675; 125 W Main St, Unit L41, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- HOT CHECK DEPARTMENT: 830-992-2616
- VICTIM ASSISTANCE: 830-990-0675
- COUNTY CLERK: 830-997-6515; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit 13, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 1: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 3: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 4: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COUNTY JUDGE: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- COURT COLLECTIONS: 830-990-7567; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #14, Rm B-104, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- DISTRICT CLERK: 830-997-6517; 101 W Main St, Rm 204, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- DRIVER'S LICENSE
- EXTENSION OFFICE: See below.
- COUNTY FACILITIES DEPARTMENT: 830-992-2604; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- FIRE-RESCUE-EMS: See agencies in each city: Doss; Fredericksburg; Harper; Stonewall; Tiera Linda (contracted services); Willow City
- INDIGENT HEALTH CARE: 830-990-7567; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #14, Rm B-104; Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS: 830-992-2620
- JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 1: 830-997-6912; 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-9776; 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- MECHANIC SHOP
- PIONEER MEMORIAL LIBRARY: 830-997-6513; 115 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.pmlfb.com. Also known as Fredericksburg Memorial Library. Built in 1882 to replace the original 1855 courthouse, and was later superseded by the current 1939 courthouse designed by Edward Stein. The first floor houses the Pioneer Memorial Library; second floor functions as a community hall. Often called the McDermott Building because of the restorations funded by McDermott. National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1967.
- PROBATION-ADULT: 830-997-3962; 125 W Main St, Ste L20, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- RURAL ADDRESSING: 830-997-1726; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #9, Rm B-106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- SANITATION & FLOODPLAIN: 830-997-8191; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #9, Rm B-106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- SHERIFF: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624Sheriff Buddy Mills; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TAX ASSESSOR-COLLECTOR: 830-997-6519; 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- TREASURER: 830-997-6521; 101 W Main St, Unit 5, Fredericksburg, TX 78624-3700
- VETERAN'S SERVICE OFFICE: 830-997-3758; 102 E San Antonio St, Ste B-2; Fredericksburg, TX 78624
GILLESPIE COUNTY COURT HOUSE ANNEX 1: 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located next to Court House. Former US Post Office Building. Currently: Driver's License Dept; JP Offices; County Attorney; Community Service; Hot Check Dept.
GILLESPIE COUNTY COURT HOUSE ANNEX 2: 102 E San Antonio St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located across the street from the Court House. (Precinct 3). Includes Veteran's Service Office
GILLESPIE COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT CENTER (LEC): 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located on E side of town, houses City and County law enforcement offices, including County Sheriff.
GILLESPIE COUNTY LAW ENFORCEMENT BUILDING (LEB): 100 S Nimitz Pkwy; Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located next to and S of the Court House.
GILLESPIE COUNTY YARD - FREDERICKSBURG: 2254 Hwy 87 N; Fredericksburg, TX 78624
GILLESPIE COUNTY YARD - HARPER: 125 S RR 783; Harper, TX 78631
COUNTY-WIDE PUBLIC SERVICES
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Hill Country Chapter: 830-257-4677;
333 Earl Garrett, Kerrville, TX 78028. email@example.com. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Blanco, Gillespie, Mason, Menard, Kimble and Kerr counties.
GILLESPIE COUNTY AGRILIFE EXTENSION SERVICE OFFICE: 830-997-3452; 95 Frederick Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Penny Adams, Agent. http://gillespie-tx.tamu.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org. Google Map
GILLESPIE COUNTY CRIME STOPPERS: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. TO REPORT A CRIME - 830-997-TIPS
GILLESPIE COUNTY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION: 830-997-6523; 302 E Austin St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Promotion of business and community improvement
(THE) GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIR & FESTIVALS ASSOCIATION, INC: Ofc: 830-997-2359, Fax: 830-997-4923; POB 526, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. A non-profit organization: to encourage, instruct and promote the education of youth in the county. Produces the oldest, continuously running county fair in Texas. Promotes community and family entertainment by sponsoring annual events such as Flavors of Fredericksburg and the annual Scholarship Fest. Sponsors live pari-mutual horse racing during the summer as well as simulcasting races from Texas and out of state tracks. The Fairgrounds may also be leased for public and private functions. www.gillespiefair.com
GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS: 530 Fair Dr, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Off Hwy 16, S of downtown.
GILLESPIE COUNTY FARM BUREAU: 830-997-4396; 237 Equestrian Dr, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.txfb.org. The "voice of Texas agriculture".
GILLESPIE COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION: www.pioneermuseum.net: History, group tours, museum information and a calendar of events for the Society. Meets monthly. Contact: Gale Clifton: 830-997-8441
GILLESPIE COUNTY LITERACY COUNCIL: 830-990-9360; Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Community-based, volunteer group that helps individuals with English language skills. Contact: Barbara Sultemeier, 830-990-9360
GILLESPIE PRESCRIBED BURN ASSOCIATION (GPBA): 1906 N Llano St, #106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.gillespiecountyswcd.org/GPBA.html. See also www.ranchmanagement.org. Local members use prescribed fire to control unwanted brush. Water sprayers, drip torches, signs, 2-way radios, & weather kits for loan to members. Annual meeting in Jan, more training during the year. Has hosted prescribed burn schools. Annual dues: $35.
GILLESPIE COUNTY SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT (GC SWCD): 830-997-3349 Ext 3; 1906 N Llano St, #106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.gillespiecountyswcd.org. Sponsors educational agricultural events with NRCS, TX AgriLIFE Extension, etc. Hosts web page and writes two newsletters a year. Works with NRCS, Gillespie Co. WCID & Gillespie Prescribed Burn Association. Conservation awards, seed sales, equipment rentals, fish sales, contractors lists. See web for schedule of events.
HILL COUNTRY CHILDREN'S THEATRE: 830-990-5752; POB 304, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
HILL COUNTRY FRUIT COUNCIL: 830-644-2344; 659 Gold Rush Trail, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.texaspeaches.com
HILL COUNTRY UNDERGROUND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT: 830-997-4472; 508 S Washington, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.hcuwcd.org
HISTORIC GILLESPIE COUNTY COUNTRY SCHOOLS: 830-669-2243; www.historicschools.org. Rural schools include: Cave Creek; Cherry Spring; Crabapple; Lower South Grape Creek; Luckenbach; Meusebach Creek; Nebgen; Pecan Creek; Rheingold; Williams Creek/Albert; Willow City; Wrede
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
See agencies in each city: Doss; Fredericksburg; Harper; Stonewall; Tiera Linda (contracted services); Willow City
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
STATE & FEDERAL OFFICES LOCATED IN THIS COUNTY
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
STATE & FEDERAL OFFICES LOCATED ELSEWHERE
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
Click: State & Federal Offices
TEXAS FOREST SERVICE: 830-997-5426; 102 E San Antonio St, #A, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. http://txforestservice.tamu.edu. Leadership and technical assistance for forests, trees, and related resources such as tree improvement, pest management, wildfires, prescribed burning, etc.
USDA FARM SERVICES AGENCY (FSA): 830-997-3453 ext 2; 1906 N Llano, #107, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.fsa.usda.gov. Administers cost-share, commodity, conservation reserve, and farm loan programs.
USDA NATURAL RESOURCES CONSERVATION SERVICE (NRCS): 830-997-3349; Ext 3, 1906 N Llano St, #106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. www.tx.nrcs.usda.gov. Technical help and consultation for soil, water, & other natural resource conservation and management efforts. A source for info on federal cost shared agricultural programs. Answers to questions about soil erosion, plant identification, planting grass, animal stocking rates, weed & brush control.
USDA RURAL DEVELOPMENT: 830-997-8902; 1906 N Llano St, #102, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Serves Bandera, Blanco, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, and Menard Counties. (www.rurdev.usda.gov/tx USDA helps rural communities meet basic needs by: Building water and wastewater systems; Financing decent, affordable housing; Supporting electric power and rural businesses, including cooperatives; and Supporting community development with information and technical assistance.
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
An upscale Western-style Guest House Bed & Breakfast
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
B&B Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!
BACK TO PORTAL HOME PAGEBACK TO TOP OF PAGE