Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
MASON COUNTY, Texas
"Gem of the Hill Country"
County Seat: MasonEst: 1858
County Borders: N: McCulloch; NE: San Saba; E: Llano; S: Gillespie; SW: Kimble; W: Menard
Population (2016): 4,111Businesses (2015): 138COL Index (2008): 75.7
Zip Codes: 76820, 76842, 76856, 76869Area Codes: 325Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 30° 45' N; 99° 11' W
Major Highways: US-87, US-377; TX-29, TX-71; RR-1871Rivers: LlanoLakes: None
Area: 929 smElevation: 1,300 to 2,200 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY: Art; Field Creek; Fredonia; Grit; Hedwigs Hill; Hilda; Katemcy; Koocksville; Loyal Valley; Mason; Pontotoc; Streeter
All of Mason County is within the Texas Hill Country. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps.
- County Judge: Jerry Bearden: 325-347-5556
201 Ft McKavitt St, Mason, TX 76856
- Mason County Courthouse: Located in Mason on the Mason County Square, at 201 Ft McKavitt St. Built in 1909, in Beaux Arts style, with a center dome and clock tower, gable front porticoes, two-story doric columns, and rusticated stonework with contrasting stone lintels.
This is the third courthouse and survives the first that burned in 1877 and the second that sustained fire damage in 1900. (Note: the street name is spelled "McKavitt" while the apparent source of the name is actually "McKavett" after whom Ft McKavett was named). See more history about the courthouse and area at the Portal profile for Mason.
- Concho Valley Council Of Governments:
2801 W Loop 306, Ste A, San Angelo, TX 76904
- Mason County Chamber Of Commerce:
Ofc: 325-347-5758; Fax: 325-347-5259
POB 156, 108 Ft McKavitt St, Mason, TX 76856
Web:www.masontxcoc.com; Email: email@example.com
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News; Topix
- Newspapers: Mason County News, 325-347-5757, www.masoncountynews.com. Weekly
- Radio: KHLB 102.5 FM, 325-347-1025, www.khlb1025.com;
KOTY 95.7 FM; KYRT 97.7 FM; KZZM 101.7 FM
- TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries, TXGenWeb
- Mason County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- Mason County War: See history above and Hoodoo War
HISTORICAL MARKERS: See: Markers
CEMETERIES: See listings in each town, and: Mason County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions, and Mason County Cemeteries
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
MASON COUNTY, AIRPORT (T92): 325-347-5556; 3 mi SE of Mason, TX 76849. Open to public. No tower. Runway; 3,716 x 50 ft; AirNav; Map
MASON COUNTY, APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 325-347-5989; 200 Fort McKavitt St, Mason, TX 76856. www.masoncad.org
MASON COUNTY, ATTORNEY: 325-347-5614; Mason, TX 76856
MASON COUNTY, CLERK: 325-347-5253; Mason, TX 76856
MASON COUNTY, HISTORICAL COMMISSION: 325-347-6583; Mason, TX 76856. www.masonchc.org; Facebook Historical Commission 325-347-5446 Historical Society 325-347-1207
MASON COUNTY, JUDGE: Judge Jerry Bearden: 325-347-5556; 201 Ft McKavett, Mason, TX 76856. www.co.mason.tx.us
MASON COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE: 325-347-5412; Mason, TX 76856
MASON COUNTY, M BEVEN ECKERT MEMORIAL LIBRARY: 325-347-5446; 410 Post Hill St, POB 1785, Mason, TX 76856. www.masontexaslibrary.com, http://bcls.tsl.state.tx.us/mason, Facebook
MASON COUNTY, SHERIFF: Dispatch: 325-347-5252; Admin: 325-347-6937; POB 391, 210 Westmoreland St, Mason, TX 76856-0391. Facebook. Sheriff Buster Nixon, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
MASON COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR/COLLECTOR: 325-347-6937; Mason, TX 76856. Includes voter and vehicle registration
MASON COUNTY, TREASURER: 325-347-5251; Mason, TX 76856
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
MASON COUNTY, DISTRICT ATTORNEY: 325-347-8400; Mason, TX 76856
MASON COUNTY, DISTRICT CLERK: 325-347-5252; Mason, TX 76856
MASON COUNTY, DISTRICT COURT: 325-347-0755; Mason, TX 76856
US POST OFFICE: www.usps.com
- 325-347-6595; 7866 TX-29 E, Art, TX 76820-9817
- 325-429-6243; 108 Main St, Fredonia, TX 76842-9998
- 325-347-5442; 704 Wren St, Mason, TX 76856-9998
- 325-251-6667; 17658 College St, Pontotoc, TX 76869-9814
THAT REPRESENT THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
Click: State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Hill Country Chapter: 830-257-4677; 333 Earl Garrett, Kerrville, TX 78028. email@example.com. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Blanco, Gillespie, Mason, Menard, Kimble and Kerr counties.
(THE) HAVEN FAMILY SHELTER: 24x7 Hotline: 325-597-7644; POB 310, Brady, TX 76825. www.thehavenfamilyshelter.org. Mission is to reduce the incidence and impact of domestic violence and/or sexual assault in McCulloch, Mason and Menard Counties and surrounding areas by providing services and support that empower victims to rebuild their lives and regain their dignity within a safe and caring community.
HILL COUNTRY CHILDREN'S ADVOCACY CENTER: 512-756-2607; POB 27, 1001 N Hill St, Burnet, TX 78611. "Believe the Hurt, Begin the Healing", Serves Blanco, Burnet, Lampasas, Llano, Mason & San Saba Counties. Multi-disciplinary agency facilitates the prevention, detection, investigation and treatment of Child Abuse. Provides free services to abused children and their families. Agency provides services to physically and sexually abused children, witnesses, non-offending family members, and the professionals dedicated to helping victims. Provides video-taped forensic interviews, written statement assistance, on-site medical examinations, evaluations, and referrals. Annual fund-raising event: Pedal Power Wildflower Ride. www.hccac.org
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: www.txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hill Country Chapter, 830-896-2504; 309 Sidney Baker S, Kerrville, TX 78028. Meets 4th Mon 7p at UGRA building. Michelle Haggerty, State Coordinator. Counties served: Counties served: Bandera, Edwards, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Real, San Saba. www.txmn.org/hillcountry
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!