IN HILL COUNTRY
Click image for Details
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
TRAVIS COUNTY, Texas
County Seat: AustinEst: 1840
County Borders: N: Williamson; E: Bastrop; S: Caldwell; SW: Hays; W: Blanco; NW: Burnet
Population (2015): 1,176,558Businesses (2014): 32,317COL Index (2008): 86.7
Zip Codes: 78701 + many moreArea Codes: 512/737Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 30° 18' N, 97° 45' W
Major Highways: I-35; US 183, 290; TX 71, 130
Rivers: ColoradoLakes: Travis, Austin, Lady Bird (see Lakes)
Parks: see Parks
Area: 990 smElevation: 400 to 1,300 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
Cities: Austin, Bee Cave, Briarcliff, The Hills, Hudson Bend, Jonestown, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Oak Hill, Oasis, Point Venture, Volente and many more outside the Hill Country.
Not all of Travis County is within the Texas Hill Country. Only the western-most two-thirds of the county area is in the Hill Country. The approximate dividing line is TX 183. For our definition of the boundaries of the Texas Hill Country, see: Definition & Maps.
- County Judge: Sarah Eckhardt
Ofc: 512-854-9555, Fax: 512-854-9535
700 Lavaca, Ste 2.300, Austin, TX 78701
- Capital Area Council Of Governments (CAPCOG)
Ofc: 512-916-6000, Fax: 512-916-6001
6800 Burleson Rd, Bldg 310, Ste 165, Austin, TX 78744
Web: www.capcog.org, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Austin Chamber Of Commerce:
512-478-9383, Fax: 512-478-6389
210 Barton Springs Rd, Ste 400, Austin, TX 78704
EVENT CALENDAR: For full details on these and nearby events see Festivals & Major Events, Trade Days & Farmers Markets, Live Entertainment, and calendars on our other focus topic pages accessible from the menu above.
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below. MAPS: Google; Travis County Map; Hill Country Special Maps
- Handbook Of Texas Online: TSHA
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries: TXGenWeb
- Travis County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- More History: See Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Austin.
See listings in each town.
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; ePodunk; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
FOR LOCAL LISTINGS: Because the City of Austin is the dominant city in Travis County, please see the Directory Listings at City of Austin
TRAVIS COUNTY: County Judge Sarah Eckhardt, Ofc: 512-854-9555; Fax: 512-854-9535; 700 Lavaca, Ste 2.300, Austin, TX 78701. Web: www.traviscountytx.gov; Email: email@example.com
TRAVIS COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT: 512-854-9770; POB 1748, Austin, TX 78767-1748. Sheriff Greg Hamilton. www.tcsheriff.org
TRAVIS COUNTY CENTRAL APPRAISAL DISTRICT: 512-834-9317; 8314 Cross Park Dr, Austin, Texas 78754. (www.traviscad.org
JONESTOWN COMMUNITY CENTER: See Jonestown
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
US POST OFFICES: 800-275-8777; www.usps.com
- 512-892-2794, 6104 Old Fredericksburg Rd, Austin/Oak Hill, TX 78749-9998
- 512-267-1637; 8027 Bronco Ln, Lago Vista, TX 78645
- 512-263-1928; 2110 RR 620 S, Lakeway, TX 78734
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: See County Judge's office for Emergency Management, and Sheriff's Dept above.
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
- CAPCOG EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM: 866-484-3264; Web Sign-Up. A free, automated system whereby you can be notified (via phone call, text, or mobile app) by your local emergency response team in the event of emergency situations or critical community alerts. Examples: evacuation notices, bio-terrorism alerts, boil water notices, severe weather and missing child reports.
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Central Texas Chapter:
2218 Pershing Dr, Austin, TX 78723. www.centex.redcross.org. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Burnet, Hays, Llano, Travis & Williamson counties.
TEXAS FARM BUREAU - TRAVIS COUNTY: 512-835-7895; 308 E Rundberg Ln, Austin, Tx 78753.
texasfarmbureau.org, Travis County Farm Bureau.
A county-wide non-profit, providing a political voice regarding agriculture,
as well as insurance, financing and education services.
TRAVIS COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION: www.co.travis.tx.us/historical_commission
TRAVIS COUNTY PARKS: www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/default.asp
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. www.trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
MASTER GARDENERS ASSOCIATION: www.txmg.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Program. Mission is to disseminate horticulture education on gardening, water conservation, soil maintenance, native & earthkind planting. Local club:
Travis County Master Gardeners: www.tcmastergardeners.org
CENTRAL TEXAS ASSN OF RESOURCE CONSERVATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC: 512-352-3565. http://centraltexasrcd.presspublisher.org. A non-profit who's mission is to provide support through regional and state-wide education, leadership and coordination in the development, conservation and wise use of human resources. Counties Served: Bexar, Bastrop, Bell, Caldwell, Coryell, Falls, Hays, Limestone, McLennan, Milam, Travis, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism & economic development listings in profile section above.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Information
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: www.SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!