preserving the past to
enrich the future ....
Website includes historical information about the former Gillespie County rural schools. Community neighbors and former students are preserving the rich history and places of learning established by the early German settlers. Open houses are held at the former schools throughout the year. All properties are available for special events and tours by request.
COFRAN'S PC &
- - -
Tech Support &
Call-In Help Desk
PC slowed down?
We can tune it up!
** PC Repairs **
BSEE, MBA, xCPA
Veteran, Tech Officer
Cofran's Texas . . .
Hill Country Portal
A Powerful Information Database & Gateway Service for the Texas Hill Country
County Profile For:
GILLESPIE COUNTY, Texas
"In the heart of the Texas Hill Country"County Seat: FredericksburgEst: 1848
County Borders: NW: Llano; NE: Mason; E: Blanco; SE: Kendall; SW: Kerr; W: Kimble
Population (2016): 26,521Businesses (2015): 969COL Index (2008): 84.1
Zip Codes: 78618, 78624, 78631, 78671, 78675Area Codes: 830Time Zone: CST
Center Line Coordinates: 30° 18' N; 98° 55' W
Major Highways: IH-10; US-290; US-87; TX-16, FM-783
Rivers: PedernalesLakes: no majors
Area: 1,058 smElevation: 1,100 to 2,250 ft
CITIES & TOWNS IN THIS COUNTY:
- Cities: Fredericksburg
- Towns & Villages: None
- Unincorporated: Albert; Doss; Harper; Hilltop; Luckenbach; Stonewall; Willow City
- County Judge: Mark Stroeher
Gillespie County Courthouse
101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
Ofc: 830-997-7502; Fax: 830-992-2608
- Alamo Area Council Of Governments (AACOG):
210-362-5200; 8700 Tesoro Dr, Ste 700, San Antonio, TX 78217
- Gillespie County Economic Development Commission:
830-997-6523; 302 E Austin St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- See Gillespie County Fair & Festival Assn listing below.
- See Fredericksburg
WEATHER: Local Weather; Hill Country-wide Weather
MEDIA COVERAGE: See full details in Directory below.
- On-Line News: Google News
- Newspapers: Fredericksburg Standard Radio Post, fredericksburgstandard.com
- Radio: KBLC/KIVM: 91.5 FM; KNAF: 910 AM, 105.7 FM
- TV, Articles & Videos:
- Handbook Of Texas Online: Handbook of Texas Online
- County TXGenWeb Project: Genealogical/historical information, including cemeteries, markers, maps, census data, surname queries, TXGenWeb
- Gillespie County Historical Commission: See full details in Directory below.
- Historic Schools In Gillespie County: See full details in Directory below.
- More history: at Portal city profiles in list shown above, including Fredericksburg.
See listings in each town, and: Gillespie County Cemetery Photos, Facts & Directions
OTHER PROFILES: City Data; TXCIP; US Census Quick Facts; Wikipedia
We welcome inquiries, comments and submission of updates, additions, corrections & digital photos,
without compensation. Send to Editor at:
BUSINESS & ORGANIZATION DIRECTORY
GILLESPIE COUNTY GOVERNMENT: County Judge Mark Stroeher, Gillespie County Courthouse, 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Ofc: 830-997-7502; Fax: 830-997-9958. gillespiecounty.org. Employs approx 140. Commissioners Court meets 2nd & 4th Mon at 9a at the Courthouse. County government is responsible for construction and maintenance of roads, bridges and facilities, plus general business matters. 2017: 155 employees; 16 elected officials. Departments include:
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, AIRPORT: 830-997-7502; 191 Airport Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Publicly owned, open to the public. Located 3 mi S of downtown Fredericksburg, TX 78624. No tower. Open 24x7. Runway: 5,001 x 75 ft; Designation: T82. AirNav; Map
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, APPRAISAL DISTRICT (GCAD): 830-997-9807; 1159 S Milam St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. gillespiecad.org. Responsible for property value appraisal and tax collection.
- COUNTY ATTORNEY: 830-990-0675; Gillespie County Annex 1, Unit L41, 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Represents the State of Texas in all criminal cases under examination or prosecution in Gillespie County. Also attempts to collect restitution for merchants and persons who have received hot checks. Open: Mon-Fri, 8a-5p, except noon lunch hour.
- HOT CHECK DEPARTMENT: 830-992-2616
- VICTIM ASSISTANCE: 830-990-0675
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, AUDITOR: 830-997-6777; 101 W Main St, Unit 4, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPT: 830-992-2649; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 1: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Serves as bailiffs for JP courts; collects money owed on judgments; serves civil process; enforce traffic laws; assists other law agencies at traffic accidents.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-7585; 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 3: 830-307-3448; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, CONSTABLE - PRECINCT 4: 830-307-3449; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, CLERK: 830-997-6515; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit 13, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Conducts elections; records public land records; serves as clerk for county criminal/civil/juvenile/probate courts; records births, deaths and marriages; and keeps records on registered marks and brands.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 1: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 3: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COMMISSIONER - PRECINCT 4: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, JUDGE: 830-997-7503; 101 W Main St, Unit 9, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, COURT COLLECTIONS: 830-990-7567; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #14, Rm B-104, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, DISTRICT CLERK: 830-997-6517; 101 W Main St, Rm 204, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Handles all criminal cases, divorces, parent/child relationship matters, civil cases (up to $10,000), passports, naturalization and citizenship records.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, DRIVER'S LICENSE: Gillespie County Annex 1, 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION: 830-997-6523; 302 E Austin St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, EXTENSION OFFICE: See AgriLife on Fredericksburg profile.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, FACILITIES DEPARTMENT: 830-992-2604; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, FIRE-RESCUE-EMS: See agencies in each city: Doss; Fredericksburg; Harper; Stonewall; Tiera Linda (contracted services); Willow City
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, HISTORICAL SOCIETY: 830-997-2835; 312 W San Antonio St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. pioneermuseum.net
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, INDIGENT HEALTH CARE: 830-990-7567; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #14, Rm B-104; Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS: 830-992-2620
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 1: 830-307-3737, Ext 1; Gillespie County Annex 1, 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Handles civil disputes involving up to $10,000; and handle inquests, mental commitments; evictions; magistrate individuals who have been arrested, hear traffic cases, issue warrants, and grant emergency protective orders.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - PRECINCT 2: 830-997-9776; Gillespie County Annex 1, 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, MECHANIC SHOP
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: Fredericksburg, TX 78624. See more below.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, PIONEER MEMORIAL LIBRARY: 830-997-6513; 115 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. pmlfb.com. Also known as Fredericksburg Memorial Library. Built in 1882 to replace the original 1855 courthouse, and was later superseded by the current 1939 courthouse designed by Edward Stein. The first floor houses the Pioneer Memorial Library; second floor functions as a community hall. Often called the McDermott Building because of the restorations funded by McDermott. National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1967.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, PROBATION-ADULT: 830-997-3962; 104 Industrial Loop, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, PROBATION-JUVENILE DEPT: 830-307-3567; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, RURAL ADDRESSING: 830-997-1726; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #9, Rm B-106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, SANITATION & FLOODPLAIN: 830-997-8191; 101 W Main St, Mail Unit #9, Rm B-106, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, SHERIFF: 830-997-7585; Gillespie County Law Enforcement Center, 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Sheriff Buddy Mills; email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Enforces State laws and County ordinances; protects those in the County; provides security for the courts; process server; accepts bail; sells seized and unclaimed property; supervises the jail and prisoners
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, SURVEYOR: Verifies and clarifies property boundaries under original land grants.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, TAX ASSESSOR-COLLECTOR: 830-997-6519; 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Handles vehicle and boat titles, registration and sales tax; voter registration; collection of ad valorem taxes; alcoholic beverage permit renewals
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, TREASURER: 830-997-6521; 101 W Main St, Unit 5, Fredericksburg, TX 78624-3700. Invests funds, receives and accounts for all monies belong to the County; and disperses County money. Serves as the Human Resource Dept and Payroll Dept; Collects County hotel occupancy tax.
- GILLESPIE COUNTY, VETERAN'S SERVICE OFFICE: 830-997-3758; 97 Fredericksburg Rd, Ste 200, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Assists with navigation of various veterans assistance programs.
GILLESPIE COUNTY, COURT HOUSE: 101 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
GILLESPIE COUNTY, COURT HOUSE ANNEX 1: 125 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located next to Court House. Former US Post Office Building. Currently: Driver's License Dept; JP Offices; County Attorney; Community Service; Hot Check Dept.
GILLESPIE COUNTY, COURT HOUSE ANNEX 2: 102 E San Antonio St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located across the street from the Court House. Currently vacant.
GILLESPIE COUNTY, LAW ENFORCEMENT CENTER (LEC): 1601 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located on E side of town, houses City and County law enforcement offices, including County Sheriff.
GILLESPIE COUNTY, LAW ENFORCEMENT BUILDING (LEB): 100 S Nimitz Pkwy, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located next to and S of the Court House.
GILLESPIE COUNTY, OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: 830-997-7521; Justin Calhoun, Director of Emergency Services, 126 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624. Located at City Hall
GILLESPIE COUNTY, YARD - FREDERICKSBURG: 2254 US-87 N; Fredericksburg, TX 78624
GILLESPIE COUNTY, YARD - HARPER: 125 S RR 783; Harper, TX 78631
LOCATION NOTES: The "Courthouse Square" property includes: Courthouse, Pioneer Memorial Library, Law Enforcement Bldg (Jail), and Annex 1 (in former USPO bldg, includes offices for: Drivers License, JPs, County Attorney, Community Service). Annex 2 is located across the street from the Courthouse and has offices for Veterans' Affairs.
LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY: See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY BUT WITHIN THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See detailed listings in the corresponding cities/towns throughout the Hill County. Use the Menu at the top of every page for city links.
LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY: See State & Federal Offices
(Police, Fire, EMS/Medical)
CRIME STOPPERS-REPORT ANONYMOUSLY: 1-800-222-8477; or click: Stoppers See agencies in each city: Doss; Fredericksburg; Harper; Stonewall; Tiera Linda (contracted services); Willow City
DISASTER & EMERGENCY SERVICES: Beyond dialing 911 for emergency services (police, fire, rescue), when a major destructive event occurs (wind damage, flooding, explosion, wildland fire, mass casualty incidents, terrorism, etc.), response services are organized based on the disaster coverage area and severity:
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS & LOCAL RELIEF SERVICES MOSTLY WITHIN A CITY: Depending on local needs and incident circumstances, check with local service and information organizations and locations that can be found on the Portal city page for each town/city, per the above Portal menu at the top of each page. On these city pages you can determine their open/close status and scope of services (shelter, showers, food, clothing, financial, essential supplies, other) presently offered, and donations (food, clothing, cash, other) they will accept. Their scope can change quickly based on the extent of damage and needs. The city pages also include emergency contacts for major utilities that are often affected during such incidents, including power, water, communications, etc.
- MULTIPLE CITY OR COUNTY-WIDE INCIDENTS: Also see Sheriff's Dept above.
- Gillespie County Office Of Emergency Management: Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- MULTIPLE COUNTY INCIDENTS: See our Portal Focus Topic Page on Emergency Services for comprehensive information on area-wide emergency resources and contacts (Red Cross, TCEQ, Alert Systems, etc.).
CRISIS HOTLINES: click Hotlines-Emergencies
WITH OFFICES LOCATED WITHIN THIS COUNTY:
See detailed listings in each city/town in this county. Use the list with city links for this county at the top of this profile page. Or, use the Menu at the top of every page for city links. is the predominate city in this county and is where most such services are located.
WITH OFFICES LOCATED OUTSIDE THIS COUNTY:
AMERICAN RED CROSS, Hill Country Chapter: 830-257-4677;
333 Earl Garrett, Kerrville, TX 78028. A humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross Movement, that provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. Serves Blanco, Gillespie, Mason, Menard, Kimble and Kerr counties.
ANY BABY CAN OF SAN ANTONIO: 210-227-0170; 217 Howard, San Antonio, TX 78212. anybabycansa.org. A non-profit agency that provides direction and guidance for families of children and youth with special needs. All services are provided at no cost, regardless of income, to families who have a child (through age 17) with a chronic illness, disability, developmental delay or health risk. The child must reside in Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. Local office:
Kerrville: 830-792-4222; 819 Water St, Ste 109, Kerrville, TX 78028. Brenda Heimann bad bheimann @ anybabycansa.org
New Braunfels: 800-524-3755; 1040 N Walnut, Ste C2 at Seele Plaza, New Braunfels, TX 78130
HILL COUNTRY COUNCIL OF ALCOHOL & DRUG ABUSE, INC: 830-367-4667; 102 Business Dr, Kerrville, TX 78028. hccada.com. The mission of this non-profit is to provide comprehensive substance abuse recovery and behavioral health services to help individuals and families achieve and maintain a healthy and productive lifestyle. This is accomplished through comprehensive treatment and prevention methods guided by a philosophy of mutual concern and responsibility. Also offers mental health services to include case management and therapy. Serves: Bandera, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr and Medina Counties.
TEXAS MASTER GARDENERS: txmg.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program. Mission is to disseminate horticulture education on gardening, water conservation, soil maintenance, native & earthkind planting.
Local club: Hill Country Master Gardeners, 830-257-6568; 3775 TX-27 E, Kerrville, TX 78028. Counties served: Bandera, Gillespie, Kendall and Kerr. hillcountrymastergardeners.org
TEXAS MASTER NATURALISTS: txmn.org. A non-profit organization under the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Program in concert with Texas Parks & Wildlife. Mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities.
Local: Hill Country Chapter, 830-896-2504; 309 Sidney Baker S, Kerrville, TX 78028. Meets 4th Mon 7p at UGRA building. Michelle Haggerty, State Coordinator. Counties served: Counties served: Bandera, Edwards, Gillespie, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Mason, Menard, Real, San Saba. txmn.org/hillcountry
TEXAS RIO GRANDE LEGAL AID (TRLA): 1-888-988-9996; 4920 IH-35 N, Frontage Rd, Austin, TX 78751. trla.org. A non-profit organization that provides free legal services to eligible low-income residents in 68 counties of SW Texas, including the Hill Country, and also represents migrant and seasonal farm workers. No local permanent offices (except nearby Austin and San Antonio), however visits are made to some cities. Start eligibility application process on web or call for appointment. Counties served: Bandera, Blanco, Burnet, Comal, Edwards, Gillespie, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Llano, Mason, Medina, Real, Travis, Uvalde, Williamson
Note: See chamber, tourism, economic development & non-profit listings in Fredericksburg city profile.
Note: For Hill Country-wide non-profits, public service and social service organizations, see Hill Country Area Profile
HILL COUNTRY-WIDE UTILITY PROVIDERS:
For Hill Country area utility service providers (electric, gas, water, sewer, trash),
telecom providers (land lines, cellular service, TV, internet), and related services (package delivery, newspaper, etc.), click: Utilities & Telecom
Taxes assessed by following taxing authorities:
- City of Fredericksburg: $0.2482
- Gillespie County: $0.3971
- Hill Country Underground Water Conservation District (HUW): $0.0085
- Water Control & Improvement District (WCD): $0.0002
- Stonewall Water Control& Improvement District (WDS): $0.3633
- Fredericksburg ISD: $1.1462
- Harper ISD: $1.0400
- Doss ISD: $0.9267
SANDY ROAD GUEST HAUS:
Upscale Western-style Guest House Lodging
in a Beautiful Ranch Setting in the Gorgeous Texas Hill Country
Reservations & Information: 281-300-7177
9242 RR 1320 (Sandy Road), Johnson City, TX 78636
Web: SandyRoadGuestHaus.com Email: info@SandyRoadGuestHaus.com
Come Relax & Enjoy!